Thursday, September 1, 2016

Mercenaries vs. Cygnar - Shae vs. Sloan - 75 Points Steamroller

Shae vs. Kara Sloan - Game 2

Our Journeyman league was finally over so now we get the chance to try some new stuff. Everyone seemed to be sick of playing against Khador so I brought my Mercenary army as a change of pace. We didn't end up going to GMI games but instead Ryan came over and we played a couple games at the office.

Austin is on a 3 game winning streak with Sloan which I don't think has ever happened before. 

I really want to like Shae and his pirate army, I even read his book. I just don't really like how it plays. The Commodore Cannon is amazing but the dude spam is not as exciting and is fiddly. 

The first game we played I totally forgot that Sloan's battlegroup ignored clouds and put up a 4" Veil of Mist to protect Shae. He saw right through it and shot his DEF 17 like it was nothing. Sloan is downright dirty and put Austin on a 4 game winning streak.

The second game I played more cautious and stood behind the Galleon and a forest. Austin tried to set up an assassination but there was too much LOS blockage that he lost 5-0 on scenario. Sloan isn't hard if you play very carefully. One false move and she can kill you easily by herself. She took Karchev down to 2 Boxes when I played her last.

I think Austin and Ryan kind of feel it is cheap to win on Scenario. If Kara Sloan wants to put all her eggs in one basket and go for a long ranged assassination the penalty should be that she loses ground in the scenario. If you lose on scenario it's your own fault. 

I like the chess aspect of positioning pieces and winning on attrition or scenario instead of going for all or nothing assassinations. I think out of the 100 games I've played of Warmachine I've lost only about 10 ever and most of them to unlikely dice spiked assassinations. I've only lost on scenario twice ever and those were in tournaments vs, Kreuger 2 and a Butcher 3 mirror match. 

Maybe one day I'll get to play outside my meta and see how I do vs. next level competition. I'm a fairly good player but when put up against someone who is next level and plays competitively, I have a really hard time because I get about 1-3 games every 2 weeks. 

Hopefully our GMI Games meta will grow and we'll have some new fun factions and people to play against.

No comments:

Post a Comment