Saturday, March 7, 2015

DIY - Round Battlefield Terrain Tutorial

In my never ending quest to find a way to make 3 Players viable in a tactical miniatures game, I have decided to make a round battlefield that will have 3 equal starting points.


1) The first step is to find a good piece of wood. I purchased some OSB at Home Depot which is actually crappy wood but it's cheap. They're about $9 and they come 4' x 8' which is perfect because you can make two 4' x 4' battlefields with it.
2) This was the slightly tricky part. I put a nail in the exact center of the board, tied a string to it and tied the other end to a Sharpie. I used it as a compass to draw my giant circle. I then cut it out using a jigsaw.
3) After giving the entire surface a good sanding with 80 grit, I mix up some Durham's Rockhard Putty ($8 at Home Depot)
4) Once I got a good consistency for the tan mush I slathered it on the surface of the arena to create some texture. It really helps give it some depth when you paint it.



5) Once the putty dried I spray painted the entire top surface black.
6) After the spray paint dried I gave the surface a dry brush with dark brown, light brown, orange, and a light tan.
7) I thought I was finished with the arena so I coated the entire surface in a Matt Finish Clear Coat to protect it. I decided it was too plain and that we needed to have some defined start positions.
8) I used my Protractor to measure 3 spots at 120 degrees apart. This made the three road sections equal. I then covered all the roads in glue and sprinkled sand on top of it.


Here is the final DIY 4 Foot diameter Arena of Doom with some Warjacks so you can get a scale for how big the map is. It took some extensive detail painting to make it look more lively but I really like how it turned out.

I hope you guys get to try out making some new terrain!

No comments:

Post a Comment