Monday, February 23, 2015

8 Steps to Painting Your Plastic Little Friends

Hey guys! Today I'm taking you on a trip from start to finish on how I assemble and paint my models. First off, I'm no expert. These are table top play quality paint jobs and this guide will show you how to paint your models quickly and get them on the table ASAP.


STEP 1 - Put all of your pieces in a pile on the center of the table and pour yourself a stiff drink. Make sure to smell the pile of plastic because the psychedelic fumes will help you paint later on.

STEP 2 - Assemble all of your models and give yourself a hi-five. You are not even close to being done.


STEP 3 - Primer your models black. I like black because it allows room for error because the spots you miss painting look like shadows.

STEP 4 - I wanted to go for a brown-ish look so I dry brushed my models with a bronze. Dry brushing is a technique where you load your paintbrush with paint then wipe off the excess. You then quickly hit your models with the brush which will paint the raised surfaces a lighter color. This will bring out the details while leaving some good shadow effects.


STEP 5 - After the dry brush I like to go over the parts I'm painting white with a tan color. This will give the white a nice undercoat.

STEP 6 - I paint the red on all the cloth looking parts of my models

STEP 7 - This is the hardest part and I didn't take any pictures of the processes because I got really tired. You're going to want to do something called a Wash. A wash basically is a really watered down black that you brush over all your surfaces. What the wash does is it gets into the cracks and crevices of your model and brings out the detail by giving the raised details in your model some separation.

STEP 8 - After the wash dries I like to go over the entire models with a highlight color. Usually the wash will darken the previous layer and painting the same color on top will add a layer a depth and interest.

Completed Knights Erant

Knights Errants protecting their base. I like to think it's a Costco where they can also buy pizzas and a whole rotisserie chicken for $5.

The Knights Exemplar in battle. They did pretty good.

You don't need fancy magnifying glasses and brushes made out of dodo bird hair to get decent play quality painted models. There's something about painting your own models that gives you a special bond with them. I love all my little plastic friends and I'm glad I got to create them and make them my own. It's a love only a nerd can know.

Mark Lim is a web designer, owns OverwatchApparel.com and PoisonApple.com, a food blogger (OhSoFat.com) and a part time astronaut. Certified paintologist.

No comments:

Post a Comment