Sunday, May 1, 2016

DIY Warmachine Terrain - Mountain Fortress

My father in law is in the middle of building his train table and had some extra pink foam that I was able to snag. For some reason Home Depot is no longer carrying it and is using the compressed foam balls ones that suck for terrain.

I was able to get a new gaming table from a business that was downsizing near my office. They just decided to give everything away so I took the desk in their break room and a computer table.

Materials used

Terrain Construction In Progress

Finished Mountain Fortress

I wish I had more pictures of the process but now that my son is tall enough to run around and grab things off tables it's become a juggling act of building terrain and making sure he doesn't eat anything.

This was actually a simple project. I messed up the steps because I was just winging it
  1. I cut out the mountain part of the terrain from the pink foam
  2. Texturized it with some pieces of rock and ripped chunks out with my finger
  3. Spray painted everything black
  4. Dry brushed it with dark gray, light gray, and white.
  5. Did a black wash on top of everything
  6. Painted white highlights
  7. Decided I would make it a base so I cut something out of wood with a jigsaw
  8. I glued the foam to the base and filled cracks with spackle
  9. I cut out a door and some surrounding decoration and glued them on.
  10. I glued sand and little rocks to the base
  11. I spray painted everything black again then dry brushed it with gray and white
  12. Did a black wash on top of everything
  13. I built a door out of popsicle sticks, painted it, and attached it
Anyway, this was a fun project to create terrain that didn't really add any tactical depth to the game but was more for making the table look cool.

The final touch was using some double sided tape to attach one of my overall winner coins above the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment